Strategic Self-defense & Grappling Tactics
The SSGT Alpha Program is designed for agencies with limited budgets but are in need of quality defensive tactics training. Although this program addresses far fewer situations than our Vanguard Program, the Alpha Program is of the same high quality in the areas it does address.
Take a look at what this program has to offer.
40-hour Instructor Course Objectives
Prerequisite - Must be a Certified Law Enforcement, Corrections, Military Police or Security Officer to attend this course.
By the end of this course, a certified SSGT Alpha Instructor will be qualified to:
1. Teach officers about the objectively reasonable use of force, the effects and mitigation of survival stress and the principles of defensive tactics.
2. Teach officers the proper application of pressure points for the purpose of subject control and compliance.
3. Teach officers the proper method and procedure for applying escort and transport techniques as well as escort and transport takedowns.
4. Teach officers how to properly deploy, apply and remove handcuffs from various tactical positions.
5. Teach officers to properly utilize strikes and counterstrikes for the purpose of self-defense and subject control.
6. Teach officers holstered handgun retention techniques while standing.
7. Teach officers drawn handgun retention techniques while standing.
8. Teach officers long gun disarming techniques.
9. Teach officers long gun retention techniques.
10. Teach officers handgun disarming techniques.
11. Teach officers how to properly deploy, apply and retain an impact weapon.
12. Instill self-confidence in the officer's ability to defend him/herself against an attack.
13. Certify law enforcement officers in the SSGT Alpha Twenty-four- (24-) hour Student Course.
These preceding objectives will reduce the possibility of a Certified Student or Instructor using excessive force in controlling a subject, thus reducing liability.
40-hour Instructor Course Breakdown
The SSGT Alpha Instructor and Student Courses are broken down into twelve (11) categories:
- Strategic Subject Escort - escorting an unrestrained subject and taking the subject down to the ground upon resistance.
- Pressure Points - applying pressure points in an objectively reasonable manner for the purpose of subject control and compliance.
- Strategic Handcuffing & Transport - deploying and applying handcuffs to a subject in the standing, kneeling and prone positions. Also, the safe and proper transport procedure of a restrained subject.
- Strategic Frisk & Search - the safe and proper procedures for frisking and searching a subject.
- Strategic Striking - the use of personal weapon strikes to prevent or stop aggressive action in an objectively reasonable manner.
- Holstered Handgun Retention while Standing - against one- and two-handed attacks on the officers handgun from the front and rear.
- Drawn Handgun Retention while Standing - against one- and two-handed attacks on the officers handgun in standing situations.
- Long Gun Retention - defending against attacks on an officer's rifle, shotgun or sub-gun.
- Long Gun Disarming - front and rear attacks.
- Handgun Disarming - front and rear attacks.
- Strategic Baton - the use of a straight or expandable baton in an objectively reasonable manner for the purpose of subject control and compliance.
SSGT Alpha Program Certification Facts
•No previous training required.
•Written and Practical Exams are administered in both the Instructor and Student Courses.
•Instructors may certify Students in one or all categories of a particular level.
•Student Certification time can range from 1-24 hours depending on categories addressed.
•Student Certification is valid for one year. Recertification time is 1/2 the original time.
•Instructor Certification is valid for three years, provided the officer teaches 8 hours per year.
•SSGT Alpha Instructor Course is $500.00 / officer & Re-certification is $300.00 / officer.
*Prices subject to change.
•SSGT Alpha Student Manuals are available for purchase.