Johnny Lee Smith
• 1990-1991 – University of North Alabama
• 1989-1990 – Wallace State College
• 1987-1988 – University of North Alabama
LAW ENFORCEMENT RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
• 2015 – Served as an expert witness in two use-of-force trials in United States District Court Northern District of Alabama
• 2014 – Certified Police Instructor by the Alaska Police Standards Council
• 2013 – Adjunct Instructor at the Regional Counterdrug Training Academy in Meridian, MS
• 2010 – Certified Defensive Tactics Instructor by the Mississippi Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Commission
• 2005 – Present – Firearms Instructor Course at TLETA in Nashville; Patrol Rifle at Trussville PD, in Alabama; Patrol Rifle at NEMLETC in Tupelo, MS; Tactical Handgun Instructor by Bank Miller with Action Target; Point Shooting Course ATOA in Tuscaloosa, AL; 48 hours of training in Long Range Marksmanship with International Sniper Champion Chance Giannelli.
• 2003 – Certified Specialized Instructor by the Alabama Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Commission
MARTIAL ARTS QUALIFICATIONS:
• 2014 – 5th Degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt under
• 2011 – 4th Degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt under
• 2008 – 3rd Degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt under
• 2005 – 2nd Degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt under
• 2002 – 1st Degree Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Black Belt under
• 1997-present – Studied Gracie Jiu-jitsu directly under
• 1994-present – Studied Gracie Jiu-jitsu directly under
• 1993-present – Began Gracie/Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
• 1987-2004 – Kobayashi Shorin Ryu 4th Degree Black Belt
• 1979-1993 — Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan 3rd Degree Black Belt
• 1991 – Founder and President of Triad Martial Arts, Inc
• Johnny Lee Smith was the first person in the State of Alabama to achieve Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu
• Johnny Lee Smith was the first person from the State of Alabama to achieve 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Degree Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. He is the highest ranking BJJ Black Belt in Alabama.
• His Triad Martial Arts Academy has the largest number BJJ Black Belts in the State of Alabama
• He is the only person in the state that has trained extensively with Rickson Gracie
LAW ENFORCEMENT RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
• 2014 – SSGT certifies hundreds of instructors each year who in turn train thousands of officers annually. A very short list of agencies utilizing SSGT Defensive Tactics includes the following:
Alabama – Alabama Law Enforcement Agency – Troopers, Marine Police & State Bureau of Investigation; Alabama Department of Conservation; Alabama Department of Corrections; Montgomery Police Department & Academy; Birmingham Police Department & Academy; Tuscaloosa Police Department, AL; APOST Academy in Tuscaloosa, AL; Northeast Alabama Law Enforcement Academy; Huntsville Police Department & Academy; Jefferson County Sheriff’s Academy, AL; Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office & Academy; Mobile Police Department & Academy
Tennessee – Metro Nashville Police Department, TN; Knox County Sheriff’s Office & Academy, TN; Murfreesboro Police Department & Academy, TN; Franklin Police Department, TN; Brentwood Police Department, TN; Pigeon Forge Police Department, TN; Gatlinburg Police Department, TN; Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
Louisiana – The Louisiana State Police & Academy; Baton Rouge Police Department & Academy, LA; Shreveport Police Department, LA; West Monroe Police Department, LA; Monroe Police Department, LA; Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office & Academy, LA
Mississippi – Tupelo Police Department & The NMLETC, MS; Mississippi Delta Academy; Hattiesburg Police Academy, MS; Oxford Police Department, MS; Ocean Springs Police Department, MS; Pascagoula Police Department, MS; Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, MS
Arkansas – Springdale Police Department, AR; Fayetteville Police Department, AR; Univ. of Arkansas PD; Benton County Sheriff’s Office, AR; Hot Springs Police Department, AR; Arkansas Law Enforcement Training Center in Springdale
Georgia – Georgia Department of Natural Resources; DeKalb County Police Department, GA; Fayette County Sheriff’s Office, GA; Bibb County Sheriff’s Office, GA
Florida – Manatee County Sheriff’s Office, FL; Bradenton Police Department, FL
Detailed lists of agencies to which Johnny Lee Smith has provided training can be found under the link Agencies We Serve on this website. Just click on the appropriate state to see a complete listing.
– SSGT was chosen to be the official defensive tactics system for all Alabama Peace Officers’ Standards and Training Commission Academies in Alabama. As of January, 2014 all police academies in the State of Alabama are required to teach 24 hours of SSGT Vanguard Level One and 24 hours of SSGT Vanguard Level Two.
• 2007 – SSGT was the first defensive tactics program ever offered at Action Target’s Law Enforcement Training Camp (LETC) held in Provo, UT
• 2005-present – Founded the “Equalizer” Women’s Self Defense Program
• Johnny Lee Smith has certified criminal justice officers as instructors in the Equalizer Women’s Self-defense Program in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
• 2003 – SSGT became a mandated portion of the basic curriculum for all State and Regional Law Enforcement Academies in the State of Alabama-mandated by the Alabama Peace Officers’ Standards In Training Commission.
• 1998-present — Founded the “Strategic Self-defense and Grappling Tactics” (SSGT) Program for criminal justice officers.
• Johnny Lee Smith certified instructors in the SSGT Program for criminal justice agencies in the following states: Alabama; Arkansas; Florida; Georgia; Idaho; Kansas; Louisiana; Mississippi; Ohio; Oregon and Tennessee.
FILM & TELEVISION WORK EXPERIENCE:
• 1996 – Appeared on the “Crook and Chase” TV Show to discuss martial arts for children and demonstrate self-defense techniques
• 1996 – Worked on “Batman & Robin” Warner Brothers Productions as assistant to Fight Choreographer Pat Johnson. Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, George Clooney, Chris O’Donnell, Uma Thurman and Alicia Silverstone.
• 1995-1996 – Starred in “WMAC MASTERS” 4 KIDS Productions – I Played Johnny Lee Smith “Tiger Claw” on the show. Our show was carried on FOX affiliates nationwide. The stars of the show, myself included, had our own action figures made by Bandai Toy Company which were sold in Walmart and Target stores.
• 1994 — Appeared as a bouncer in “XXX’s & OOO’s “ CBS Productions. Starring Jim Varney, David Keith and Nia Peeples.
• 1992 – Appeared (speaking role) in “Body Snatchers” Warner Brothers Productions where I also choreographed military fight scenes. Starring Forest Whitaker, R. Lee Ermy, Meg Tilly and Billy Wirth.
MARTIAL ARTS AWARDS:
• 1994 – Winner of the “Battle of Atlanta”, the “Bluegrass Nationals”, and the “Texas Challenge”
National Martial Arts Tournaments
• 1994 — Member of “United Professionals” National Martial Arts Team
• 1990-1994 — Consecutive Alabama State Karate Champion
• 1985 – Winner of the “Battle of Atlanta” and the “Bluegrass Nationals”, National Martial Arts Tournaments
• 1983-1987 — Consecutive Alabama State Karate Champion